Friday, January 4, 2013

What about January?


It has been a loooong time since I blogged.  Today I am full of thoughts and decided it's time.

Reading Glasses

'It' has finally happened.  I am one of those women who must now carry reading glasses anywhere and everywhere.  One of those women who screeches, 'that's WAY too close' if anyone expects her to see something small within a foot of her face.  This, even though I wear bifocal contact lenses.  I can only shudder to think what it would be like if there were no bifocal contacts to rely upon.  I've been keeping a pair of readers in my crochet bag for some time, for when I'm working with fine gauge yarns or dark colors in a dark room....when I visited a dollar store in December and picked up two more pair, I should have known it was A SIGN.
How to feel about this?  As long as I remember to bring the magical glasses along with me wherever I go, I feel like:  Oh well.  Such is life.

Craft Room

Yesterday, after staring for quite some time at a beautifully outfitted sewing/craft room on someone else's blog, I headed for mine with a vengeance.  The unfortunate thing is that the room I had pored over was probably 15x20 feet at a minimum, whereas mine is 9'4" x 8'9", with an angled corner cut off.  The room I so admired had such great features - a huge hutch organized with recycled baskets, a good sized fabric cutting table, an overstuffed chair and ottoman for 'visiting' family members, a sewing table and a crafting table and a household desk.  And still it looked roomy.  My little room, I'm afraid, is never going to resemble that model.  I'm not willing to put in the hours upon hours to make it so, and I'm not creative enough to make up my own repurposing plan.  Alas, at least I was motivated to reorganize, and spent much energy transforming a space where I had just thrown stuff for quite some time.  Now I have space for the serger that is on my short-term wish list!  And I've armed myself with a list of items to find at the local thrift store, for storage solutions and fun accents.  Maybe we're really getting somewhere!

Direction for 2013

While I get swept up in the whole resolution hoopla, I'm also a realist.  Am I going to look like Jillian Michaels by March?  Probably not.  Will I scale Mount Everest this summer (or ever)?  Definitely not.  I'm searching for reasonable goals to set.  I've come up with a pretty long list, all which are manageable if taken independently and with patience.

Get back to the gym after 2 or 3 months of nursing my knee with little success.  
Use the book Slow Cooker Resolution that was given to me by my hubby at Christmas.
Learn a new crochet technique.  
Get better at sewing so I can create some retail-worthy fun bags and things.  
Build my online business.  
Be quicker to listen, slower to speak, slower to anger.  
Try to note the highlights of each day, before I go to bed, so I have a very fundamental journal at the end of the year.
Be the best mom/friend/wife I can be this year.

Here's to your 2013 starting off strong.  May God be ever-present in your focus, and may you put Him first, others second, and yourself third, all while not forgetting yourself and losing all focus on the important things!

No comments:

Post a Comment