Thursday, September 22, 2011

Visuals are Vital

I was excited about blogging yesterday, until I realized that if I addressed my chosen topic, that would be the second post about food.  Given that this was only the second post I would have written, I thought that if I were the reader of a blog with a crafty-sounding title, I would wonder what was wrong with the author.  And since I didn't want to wander off into the vague world of self-analysis, I chose not to write.  But if I had, please know that it would have been about food (AGAIN!).

And now, for today's sharing.  I finished crocheting a baby blanket last night. Here is a photo:
I am realizing that visuals are very important to my life.  Therefore I assume they must be to you, as well.  If I hadn't imported the photo above, and wrote to you about the baby blanket I created, would it carry as much impact?  Well, that is assuming you LIKE the blanket photo, I guess...

This creation is my first 'original' design.  I don't consider it that original, since I just created a big square out of some super snuggly yarn with a simple shell stitch, then added a border with some room for ribbon.  But I see 'new' patterns posted online often, consisting of a variation of an existing design with a new color theme.  Perhaps I could sell the pattern for my shell blanket.  But I would feel as if I were cheating the system, taking advantage of the user who could come up with the same thing by buying yarn, starting the blanket, deciding it wasn't good enough, ripping it back out and trying a different pattern with new yarn, then repeating this process with an 'original' design.  Hmmmm...maybe that's why one begins with a pattern, as it usually gives nice tidy directions that create a giftable finished product on the FIRST try.

Wish there was a lesson here, I really do...

No comments:

Post a Comment